Are You Dealing with Post Abortion Stress Alone?
Many women have found that having an abortion has affected them in ways they didn’t expect or even realize at first. What’s important to know is that you are not alone in this. Women of all ages and life situations are experiencing the same emotions you are, and are finding healing and hope through the support and love of a Post Abortion Support Group.
At the Pregnancy Resource Center in Lee County, we talk with women who have had an abortion and are dealing with Post Abortion Stress. We are not here to judge or tell you what to do. We are here to listen to you, to help you understand why you feel the way you do, and to help you find healing and hope.
Recognizing Post Abortion Stress
The first step to finding healing is to recognize the general symptoms of Post Abortion Stress. These feelings are often expressed by women who are suffering from Post Abortion Stress, but could also be caused by other life events. Do any of the statements below resonate with you?
- I don’t feel like I have control of anything in my life.
- My emotions swing from being extremely angry to very sad.
- I feel so anxious all the time and even have panic attacks for what feels like no reason.
- I don’t trust myself to do anything right because I’m not important or worth anything.
- I haven’t been sleeping or eating well.
- I’ve been drinking and/or doing drugs more lately because I just need to escape.
- I don’t want to deal with these feelings, I just want to forget about them.
In addition to the symptoms above, there are specific Post Abortion Stress symptoms that are tied very closely to the abortion experience. Do any of the situations below describe something you’ve experienced or felt?
- I tend to feel extra angry, sad, and anxious around the anniversary of the abortion or the baby’s due date.
- I feel nervous that I won’t be able to get pregnant again when I want to.
- I sometimes lose my memory around the anniversary of the abortion and forget what happened.
- I feel like I’m obsessed with becoming pregnant again.
- I don’t like being around kids and find it very hard to connect with them.
- Sometimes I just start crying uncontrollably.
Post Abortion Stress Support Groups
At Pregnancy Resource Center of Lee County, we offer individual and group counseling for women who have had an abortion and now feel that they need help processing the emotions that come afterwards. Our counseling programs are free and completely confidential. Call us today at 229-814-1072 and we will listen and walk beside you through this difficult circumstance.